Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Co Co DA: Never Mind on that No-Prosecution Thing

by Robert Gammon
Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Contra Costa County District Attorney Robert Kochly has backed off his plan to stop prosecuting misdemeanor crimes — at least for now. At a Co Co County Board of Supervisors meeting yesterday, Kochly said that he would put off the plan until fall by personally taking a 10 percent pay cut and because three prosecutors in his office had recently left, according to the Contra Costa Times. Kochly had said last week that he was going to stop prosecuting many misdemeanor crimes because of a $1.9 million budget cut. But don't be surprised if the no-prosecution threat resurfaces later this year, because it's pretty clear that Kochly's pay cut and the loss of three prosecutors won't come anywhere near close to equaling the $1.9 million problem. Also, one unfortunate outcome of all this — Kochly is apparently going to still prosecute minor drug cases, even though they're a serious waste of taxpayer money.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

© 2015 East Bay Express    All Rights Reserved
Powered by Foundation