Best Architectural Site 

Chapel of the Chimes

Located just outside Mountain View Cemetery on Piedmont Avenue, Chapel of the Chimes is a beautiful, labyrinthine structure originally constructed in 1909 and redesigned by pioneering Bay Area architect Julia Morgan in 1929. Floor-to-ceiling cinerary urns look like book spines, closing the gap between tomes and tombs, and the entire structure is awash in natural light. It's the site of Garden of Memory, an annual summer solstice celebration typically featuring about fifty performers from the experimental community, but Chapel of the Chimes also offers a deeply peaceful walkthrough year-round, free of cost. It's also the resting place of John Lee Hooker, the "King of the Boogie."

(Sorry, no information is currently available for other years in this same award category.)

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Anonymous and pseudonymous comments will be removed.

Most Popular Stories


© 2016 East Bay Express    All Rights Reserved
Powered by Foundation