B Tom Smith 
Member since Dec 10, 2012


Stats

Favorite Places

  • None.
Find places »

Saved Events

  • Nada.
Find events »

Saved Stories

  • Nope.
Find stories »

Custom Lists

  • Zip.

Friends

  • No friends yet.
Become My Friend Find friends »

Recent Comments

Re: “Barclay's Pub Forced to Leave Rockridge after 25 Years

How about that vacant lot at College and Claremont. With those trees and open space, they could fashion a real beer garden.

Posted by B Tom Smith on 05/04/2016 at 4:10 PM

Re: “Goodbye, Express Readers

Moving here from LA in 2008 (the day of Obama's election), I quickly became a devoted reader of EBX. You introduced me to the real Oakland and I always read your stuff first. Thank you for reporting facts.

Posted by B Tom Smith on 03/25/2016 at 6:59 AM

Re: “Tax Evasion Is Not a New Technology

Hooray for Kaplan and Kalb. The city is woefully lacking funds for basic maintenance. Yes, let's fix our streets. And also, rather than relying on volunteers, increase maintenance of green spaces (parks, sidewalk trees, freeway ramps, etc), add more trees and sidewalk trash cans, and generally keep the city cleaner.

Posted by B Tom Smith on 10/24/2015 at 8:16 AM

Re: “Oakland Sticks to Backward Thinking

Great opinion article. The City needs a 25 year strategic plan focused on sustainable living.

In the short term, as for automobiles, make more parking spaces for quick auto rentals, like City Car Share and place, all over the city, numerous electric-car charging stations.

Oakland City, get on with the big green plan, we are far behind the curve. Be a leader.

Posted by B Tom Smith on 09/10/2015 at 12:19 PM

Re: “The Dark Side of Amazon

Excellent article. Thank you for reprinting it. The modern version of capitalism has been perverted by Wall Street that has bought congressmen and passed new laws and regulations that benefit only large companies and the 1% at the expense of Main street and the other 99%. Amazon is a child of Wall Street whose only plan is to turn the planet into cash for a few leaving behind pollution, trash, and an impoverished population.

It is time to stop buying from Amazon. If you need something, buy it used, if not used, buy new from locally made products only from local merchants.

Get money out of elections and return to progressive capitalism that benefits Main street and the 99%.

7 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by B Tom Smith on 09/25/2014 at 6:30 PM

Re: “The Bay Area Needs Affordable Housing

I am all for building many more affordable houses and developing mixed neighborhoods. Diversity aids everyone's pursuit of happiness. Why not also implement a complimentary program - create mixed-income housing by building some high-income houses in the "poverty-ridden flatlands of East and West Oakland"? Could we avoid the negative outcomes of gentrification with careful planning, zoning, and policy?

8 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by B Tom Smith on 12/12/2013 at 11:16 AM

Re: “BART's General Manager Should Resign

I don't have access to the specific language of the 6-week family leave policy, but it usually is approved for an employee to care for a new baby. Like all leaves, this too must be approved by a competent and informed manager.

The suggestion that BART employees will take family leave "every year" is simply unrealistic, inflammatory, and flat wrong. Another crud, calloused and anti-union biased statement.

14 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by B Tom Smith on 11/20/2013 at 11:29 PM

All Comments »

Readers' Favorites

Most Popular Stories


© 2016 East Bay Express    All Rights Reserved
Powered by Foundation