Oakland, Berkeley, And East Bay News, Events, Restaurants, Music, & Arts
Eating meat is bad for human health, catastrophic for the environment, and a living nightmare for animals. There's never been more compelling reasons or a better time to opt for a plant based diet.
Want to create a better world? Eat like you mean it - Go Vegan
Wonderful! Colleen consistently brings clarity to this issue... Her reasoning for health and compassion are indisputable! What an honest voice! Thank you Oakland for listening!
Glad to pass the information along - Thank you for initially posting it.
I'm in this mindset originally because of issues of compassion and justice to animals victimized by our bad eating habits. Since then I've become ever more aware of the environmental damage and destruction to human health as well. Every argument became more compelling than the other to consume plant foods exclusively. Eventually I was lead to what I consider the most important and best choice of my life...
There was a wonderful series of discussions and lectures regarding the myths of "sustainable" animal meats at the Conscious Eating Conference: http://www.idausa.org/conscious_eating/ind… I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in the benefits of opting for a plant based future.
I didn't see this new comment from Agent Grant Washington, Panelist, Scientific Review Commission Re: "The Benefits of Pasture-Raised Meat" so I guess I'll just post it myself. It deserves to be notated:
BULLETIN: GRASSFED BEEF NOW FOUND TO BE ESTROGENIC
Eating "Grass fed beef" is now confirmed to act like estrogen. Most people already know that 99% of ALL meat in the supermarket and at fast food and even fine dining restaurants is implanted with growth hormones. But what most people don't know, contrary to a recent "fad" that claimed that grassfed meat was hormone-free, is that it turns out there is nothing in the rules for grass-fed beef that say farmers can't inject pasture raised grassfed cattle with growth hormones. In other words, farmers can feed cattle grass then implant the grassfed cows full of synovex-s, estradiol, progesterone, zeranol, and other processed chemicals and still call it grassfed beef and sell it. Many people who are not very educated in nutrition or science erroneously believe that grassfed beef means hormone-free, it does not. But that's not all...
- EVEN HORMONE-FREE GRASSFED BEEF & EVEN ORGANIC MEAT ARE STILL ESTROGENIC
It turns out that 100% of ALL meat, particularly when grilled, has turned up testing positive for estrogenic compounds, especially plain un-processed barbequed redmeat. Many consumers thought that if they had bought meat that was specifically stamped "hormone-free" or "organic", that it would not be feminizing when eaten, this is now found to be false. When cooked, studies now show that meat produces a chemical compound called "Heterocyclic Amines" or HCA's for short. Eating ALL meat, especially grilled, including beef, steaks, pork, bacon, hamburgers, hotdogs, even chicken and fish, and even organic meat, and even meat that is confirmed "hormone-free" still contains these estrogin mimicking chemicals. View the compounds found in meat as follows:
Estrogenic chemicals and carcinogens found in Grassfed Organic beef and all meat:
The Heterocyclic Amines (HCAs) found in meat were :
2-amino-3-methyl-imidazo [4,5-f]quinoline (I2Q),
2-amino-3-methylimidazo [4,5-f]quinoxaline (I2Qx),
2-amino-3,8-dimethylimidazo [4,5-f]quinoxaline (MeI2Qx), and
2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo [4,5-b]pyridine (PhIP)
Let's take a look at just the last one: It's nickname is "PhIP". You can remember the name PhIP because "PhIP is Pheminizing". It acts like estrogen in a man's body. Both grassfed beef, and organic meat have tested positive for PhIP. This will come as a surprise to many meat-eaters who mistakenly believed that meat was manly, in fact it turns out that eating loads of meat slowly effeminizes a man's body. Eating red meat, especially when cooked, increases estrogenic behaviour of the compounds in meat, and can potentially result in men gradually growing rounded soft sloped down shoulders, wide feminine hips, a paunch or "pooch" stomach on a man, and chest flab tissue development known as gynecomastia, or known in slang as "manboobs". The next time you attend a meat barbecue, observe the men attending, and see how many, as they increase in age from 20's to 30's to 40's now exhibit an enlarged stomach, rounded shoulders, and wider more girlish looking hip area and possibly a bulged out gut. This is the effect you can see, which happens over years of consuming meat products. Other effects are also occuring internally, hormonally, and are not visible, including genital problems, lack of athleticism, and a sag in sex drive, or weaker performance with the wife or partner.
OBSERVE THE SCIENTIFIC STUDY: "POTENT ESTROGEN MIMIC IN MEAT ABLE TO TRIGGER A MAN TO PRODUCE FEMALE PROGESTERONE"
SCIENCE DAILY: "Researchers find that a chemical that forms in meat, especially charred portions, is a potent mimic of estrogen, the primary female sex hormone." "There's no way to tell visually, by taste, or by smell whether PhIP and its toxic kin lace cooked meat" t took just trace quantities of the heterocyclic amine to spur prolactin production. "Heterocyclic Amine and PhIP was incredibly potent," he says, able to trigger progesterone (female menstrual hormone) production at concentrations in a man comparable to what might be found circulating in the blood of people who had eaten a couple of burgers." -SCIENCE DAILY
NOT GOOD FOR WOMEN EITHER: CAUSES BREAST LUMPS:
Oh, and it's also not good for women. It does not inflate women's breasts, eating grassfed beef which contains PhIP fills a woman's breasts full of lumps. It causes tumour growth. It's carcinogenic.
These four HCAs found in ALL meat, including grassfed beef, and pasture raised, free range, and organic meat as well, (IxQ, MeIxQ, MeIxQx, and PhIP) are listed in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’s 11th Report of Carcinogens (2005) as compounds found to be a human carcinogen.
In confirmation, the International Agency for Research on Cancer has also categorized MeIQ, MeIQx, and PhIP (found in virtually every type of meat) as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen. In other words, in addition to making men weaker and more womanly, HCA's found in red meat are also classified as a Class 1 carcinogen. These compounds found in meat attack the male system, including causing aggressive prostate cancer, and may contribute to a man ending up with rectal cancer in the man's rear, in men who eat steak and barbequed meat.
VIEW IT YOURSELF:
To see for yourself, open the following link: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id…
Or simply type "TROUBLING MEATY ESTROGEN" into google. Open the report from ScienceDaily.
Most vegans and vegetarians already know this, except perhaps a small minority who were either not very informed on the subject of science or nutrition and diets, or those who got easily duped by the marketers and claims of grassfed beef. PhIP forms only in meat and animal products. It is tied only to animal protein. PhiP does not form in plants or plant proteins, so vegans and vegetarians would not have this problem. In fact, laboratory tests actually showed men who were vegetarian had higher testosterone than omnivores:
STUDY: MEAT EATERS HAD DIMINISHED TESTOSTERONE COMPARED WITH MALE VEGANS. TESTS SHOWED VEGANS HAVE HIGHER TESTOSTERONE.
PUBMED Abstract: "Total testosterone (T), total oestradiol (E2) and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) concentrations were measured in plasma samples from fifty-one male vegans and fifty-seven omnivores of similar age. Free T concentration was estimated by calculation, in comparison with the omnivores, the vegans had 7% higher total Testosterone..."-NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH
This may explain why a large number of MMA fighters in the UFC are now going vegetarian or adopting vegan fighters diets. In fact, the entire ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP itself was invented by a Vegetarian, Rorion Gracie, a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Vegetarians now hold a number of championship belts including the Strikeforce welterweight and middleweight titles, and vegans have now taken the title in a number of iterations of the UFC's The Ultimate Fighter competition. The men have found that the vegetarian or vegan diet increases stamina, build denser higher quality muscle mass, and launches cardio conditioning and the male endurance factor to greater levels than their opponents. Brazilian Jiujitsu used in the UFC was also originated by a fighter who was vegetarian. Tracing the roots of Martial Arts back even further, Kung Fu which originated in China was also coined by vegetarians, the Fighting Monks of the Shaolin Temple. And the origins of martial arts traced to Bodhidarma who was from India, a buddhist, who was also vegetarian. In addition, the biggest most massive bodybuilder now in the world is a vegetarian. The vegetarian stands 7 Feet 3 inches tall, and weighs over 435 pounds of muscle mass. He is a police officer from India named Dalip Singh. To give you an idea just how big the vegetarian bodybuilder is, he literally dwarfs Ronnie Coleman, who would come up to roughly his Armpit, and is about double the size of Arnold Schwarzenegger. In other words, if you thought vegetarians couldn't get protein or build muscle, that would be wrong. In fact, all the protein in a steak came from a cow, that got all the protein from plants in the first place. In addition, if you take a look at the best protein sources in a bodybuilding nutrition store, they aren't meat, they're virtually all vegetarian. In other words, you don't see Meat-powder, or Fish electrolyte drinks, or Pork Shakes. The protein sources for powerlifters, bodybuilders, and trainers are Whey Protein (from milk, lacto-vegetarian), Albumin protein (from eggs, ovo-vegetarian), and Hemp, Spirulina, Soy, and Pea protein (from plants, complete proteins and all vegan). Plants contain huge amounts of protein. In fact, its the original source of it.
If you were a vegetarian, who mistakenly got duped into the claims surrounding grassfed beef, sorry. Usually most vegetarians are more informed on nutrition and already know the correct information on that and know that grassfed beef is feminine and has been found to be carcinogenic. It's mainly omnivores that have been lead into the erroneous information on that. If you see a person claiming how they now 'eat only grassfed beef' or something of that nature, this is a person who has been lead into believing these claims and is usually not familiar with the actual science, regulations, or the actual results of the laboratory testing and the potent effects found to affect men. Note that it also does not matter if a person from a farm asserts that all their cows they raise are surely hormone-free, or organic, or whatever the posting may claim, because as soon as you cook it, that red meat is also now estrogenic to men. So these pasture raised farmer claims can be essentially dismissed as anecdotes.
OMEGA3'S COME FROM PLANTS, NOT MEAT:
It's funny whenever anyone is seen advocating meat talking about "omega 3 fatty acids", because omega3's don't come from meat at all. All omega3's originate in plants. One more time, that will be repeated so it is understood: no animals can originate omega3's. No, not cows, and no, not fish either. So, why do you see all over the place so many people touting fatty fish or fish oil for omega3's? Well, it's because the fish were EATING the original omega3 plants. Omega3's are produced only by plants. The only reason they are in fish, is because they've been eating the ocean plants. So you can obtain all those omega3's including ALA and EPA, and yes, you can obtain DHA as well all from plants. So despite what you've heard about all the supposed 'deficiencies' of it, and also the supposed 'rich sources' of omega3's, the fact is, beef can't produce omega3's. So what's happening here is that the fish industry has leftover fishheads and parts, and is wanting to have a use for their leftover waste, so they pulverize the fish waste and then press it to squeeze out the oil and then sell it as highly touted fish oil. The problem is, if you eat fish oil, or fish, or feed it to your child, fish and fish oil have also been tested and found to be severely contaminated. Fish and fish oil contain DIOXIN, METHYLMERCURIC POISON, and TOXAPHENES which can damage the health of your baby, or child, or you. Fish contains mercury, there's no way around it. All the person can do is now talk about *which* fish merely don't have so much of it, as opposed to which fish are soaked with it, and tell you to ingest the ones that just 'have less' contamination, since they cannot any longer argue that it's clean. They're just arguing which one is dirtier, effectively like arguing which one is better to eat, the piece of fish you dropped on your bathroom floor, or the one that fell right in the toilet. Which one would you rather fish out and taste? They're arguing that the one that "just" fell on the floor is best for you to eat. And so how do omega3's get into the cow? Well, as you see, the cows are eating from the pasture. It means the omega3's are coming from plants, so now this grassfed beef market trying to also cling onto this omega3 fad and claiming that beef and meat is a 'rich source' of omega3's not telling you that previously the beef was being fed omega3 plant supplements in their feed, and now they are getting omega3's from plants by eating it. So the vegetarian was already getting amounts of omega3's. And getting it from the original fresh source. (Example: walnuts, blueberries, acaiberries, spirulina, etc). So by eating beef, a vegan would actually be potentially decreasing their omega3's.
In addition, be alerted, that excessive DHA has now been linked aggressive prostate cancer! The human body (as in a man who is vegetarian), can convert ALA into DHA, and your own body does it in exactly the right amount. Those touting beef or eating fish will be seen touting that your body only converts a certain amount, well, that's the CORRECT amount. They will try to portray this as somehow deficient, not telling you that by touting ingestion of extra DHA fish oil, those extra amounts of DHA from fish and fish oil have been connected to AGGRESSIVE Prostate Cancer in men. In other words, the vegetarian would have just the right amount, and can produce more of it anytime, but the fish eater or grassfed beef eater juiced with extra overage of DHA may end up with cancer of his man-parts. Look up "DHA Aggressive Prostate Cancer" for the truth about this fact.
- So a person who changed from eating vegetarian to eating grassfed meat because of less fat, was already eating less saturated fat to begin with as a vegetarian, so they just increased their risk of heart un-healthy fat.
- A person who changed from vegetarian to eating grassfed beef for omega3's is actually rather silly because omega3's don't even come from beef, they can only be originated by plants, so the vegetarian will now have reduced their omega3's by eating the meat. It's only a problem for meat-eaters in the first place.
- An individual switching from vegetarian to eating pastured meat claiming it's because they can now eat less, is also rather amusing, because generally most people are trying to do the exact opposite! Most people aren't sitting around trying to think of how they can figure out how to escape the "terrible burdon" of being able to eat and enjoy more food and wider varieties, most people are generally saddened by being obese or overweight and trying desperately to figure out how they can EAT more, not have to deny themselves, not have to 'diet' and still not gain fat. That's exactly what a vegan diet does, you can eat a wide variety of delicious foods, recipes, and they all come with a wide variety of spices, tastes, seasonings, and aromas, versus only being able to take a small bit of meat and then having to deprive onesself because they are overweight. Remember, if you ever see the words "nutrient dense" that phrase has been found to be incorrect. Vegetarian diets can have just as many or more calories, more protein, and more energy than a diet made up of meat. It's not just salads, vegans eat Italian Food, Pizza, Mexican Food, burritos, tacos, Thai food, spring rolls, Indian food, Curries, Japanese Food, Udon noodles, American submarine sandwiches, etc are all vegetarian or vegan, and these are nutrient dense, energy packed, and vitamin rich. Portobello mushrooms are thick and have the same fullness and stomach filling properties of meat. In fact, if you piled on the coconut oil, cheeses, and whatnot, you could get a vegetarian serving to pack a wallop of energy, fats, and calories, it's just that vegetarians are mostly healthier than that so they are smarter than that. The McDonalds or fried fastfood barbecued meat customer not so much. So anyone talking about switching to eat less is actually rather chuckly. Indeed it seems like a reason that is concocted if not contrived.
- As for ecoli, note that organic cattle are required NOT to be fed anti-biotics. But the reason why cattle are fed anti-biotics in the first place is to kill bacteria! That's what an anti-biotic is. That's what it does. So the reason farmers have had to use them in the first place is because cattle get sick! Ecoli is a zoonotic disease, which means it cannot originate in plants, it comes from animals. Specifically ecoli is ENTERIC, meaning it originates up inside the feces tube up the rear seat of animals. Ecoli reproduces inside the butt. And it is internal to the animal. That's why they are given anti-biotics, to kill that, and also the other bacterial diseases that cattle get, including Scabies. If the grassfed cattle are not given anti-biotics, they may have MORE ECOLI, not less. Because they are not given any anti-biotics to kill it in the first place. Therefore beef from a grassfed cow that is anti-biotic free may be teeming with ecoli fecal bacteria. It doens't come from grain. That would be an absurd insinuation. Plants can't originate ecoli, that type of bacteria can only reproduce inside an animal. The only way it gets onto produce is because some livestock farmer tracked it on his boot into the truck bed and then the produce touched the funk on his shoes, or the meat farmer used pasture water to irrigate his spinach crop. Thus the bacteria came out of the cow's rear, plopped in the pasture, and it rained and water overflowed onto the crops in the adjacent field or the meat farmer stepped in it and contaminated the plants. So grassfed meat without anti-biotics may have MORE ecoli, streptococcus, staphylococcus, and MRSA (flesh-eating) bacteria, than those given anti-biotics. This is NOT a cheer for anti-biotic use, this is just the facts. The problem is, beef farmers have been dosing ALL the cattle herds with antibiotics, not just the sick cows. But all of them, including they healthy ones. So what has happened is that now due to meat-farmers, the bacteria is now resistant. In fact, the day might come where your child goes to the hospital for an infection, and the doctors give your child antibiotics to save their life and now due to meat-farmers the strain is resistant and none of the antibiotics work. In other words, there is no win here. With the meat, either using anti-biotics, or not using antibiotics can result in death. Antibiotics do not need to be used for items in a vegan diet because these enteric bacteria cannot originate in plants.
-In addition, no human can contract any pernicious virus from a plant. You can catch a virus from meat animals. Bird Flu is one. Remember the SARS virus which killed thousands? That virus came from eating meat. Animals are what contain Viruses that are communicable to mankind. The HIV AIDS virus came from men who were attempting to hunt animals in order to eat meat. Men in africa hunted and killed chimps that carried the SIV virus for bushmeat. SIV from the blood from slaughter mutated to HIV and now it means that the men's desire to eat meat lead to the infliction of the AIDS virus on all mankind. Eating meat has now killed upwards of 25 million human lives.
BUTCHERS WARTS: HERPES VIRUS IN MEAT
-Handling meat can result in virus infection. If you touch meat or beef, MEAT can carry a variant of the HERPES VIRUS. There are butchers mentioned in this article, and vegetarians who are "purported" to now be handling meat. Do this... Open any search engine, and do a search for "BUTCHERS WARTS". It chronicles the fact that many people who handle meat have a high incidence of contracting a variant of the HERPES virus from contact with meat. It's highly prevalent in butchers. Don't believe it? Go look. "Butchers Warts" can infect the hands of those touching steaks and animal meats.
ALL MEAT INCLUDING GRASSFED BEEF FOUND TO BE POTENTIALLY BOTH ESTROGNIC & CANCER CAUSING:
PHYS-ORG SCIENCE NEWS: "Studies have identified a number of compounds in meat that might account for the association between Meat and Cancer. These include heterocyclic amines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and N-nitroso compounds." -PHYSORG. BBQ'd meat, and pieces of beef, pork, chicken, etc, when put on a barbeque, especially when grilled to produce the coveted diagonal 'grill marks' on the meat or sausages, produces Heterocyclic amines, which act like effeminizing estrogen when eaten by a man. Note that this applies to ALL Meat, whether grassfed, organic, wild game, deer, or factory farmed. All meat, found to contain heterocyclic amines when cooked, has now been linked to bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, and testicular sac cancer. Note also that red meat, including sustainable grassfed, contains "haeme" or heme iron which is a known MUTAGEN shown to cause human DNA damage. Plants are clear of it. Plants contain the more beneficial non-heme phytonutrients, so vegetarians do not have this problem. This compound in meat is a severe Oxidant, the exact opposite of the desirable Anti-oxidants you have heard of, so the compounds interwoven all throughout meat tissue and cannot ever be extracted are now shown to be destructive to cells and can cause diabetes and accelerated aging. Human tissue destructive heme exists only in Meat.
SUMMARY: GRASS-FED BEEF NOW FOUND TO BE CARCINOGENIC TO ALL & EFFEMINIZING TO MEN
To verify this fact type: "TROUBLING MEATY ESTROGEN" into any search engine - view the report from Science News and Confirm it for yourself.
Tonja - "Loving" a dead item rather than a living, sentient being is rather disturbing. Callously so.
And what on earth do unborn fetuses have to do with the violence inflicted on innocent living ones? If you think eating animals is ethical - Argue that point... Don't muddy the water with irrelevant straw men. It's Kettle Logic.
I also live on plants and believe that there are also many vegetarians and vegans NOT "flocking" to "pasture raised animals because of the ethical issues. No matter how "nice" a life these beings had most still meet their fate at an industrial slaughterhouse... And even if they are "farm killed" - They sure didn't want to die then either. The act is still violent and still totally unnecessary.
Stop trying to pretty up the picture about killing innocent victims - There are abundant better choices that don't demand we take anyone's life!
East Bay Express All Rights Reserved
Powered by Foundation