Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Welcome to the Mid-Week Menu, a weekly roundup of restaurant openings, chef arrivals and departures, and other nuggets of gossip from the East Bay dining scene.
1) NBC Bay Area brings word that the Pizza Pimps will be hustling all over the Bay with their kid-friendly mascot, Pimp-a-Roni. Look for clever pizzas like "Booty Call" and "Snoop Doggi Style."
2) From Grub Street comes news that San Francisco's beloved Rosamunde Sausage Grill is opening an Oakland location, with the sad caveat that it appears to be taking over the struggling Suruki's spot.
3) Berkeley's new hipster Mexican joint Comal is due to open in late April or early May, according to Diablo Dish.
4) Also from those scoopsters at Diablo, Toast Wine Bar is expanding into the space next door, with plans to create a cocktail bar (ABC license pending).
5) Bittersweet Cafe's new downtown location is open, and word is they'll be serving breakfast and lunch.
6) Shortly after he came on board at Hibiscus, Gregory Leon parted ways with his new employer. No word yet on his replacement.
7) Doughnut Dolly, she of the legendary "Naughty Cream," is looking to open an Oakland brick and mortar in April, and she has a Kickstarter campaign to get her there.
8) This one slipped through the cracks earlier in the year, but the tentative plans for Umami Burger to open an Uptown spot are now finalized, according to Inside Scoop. The location will be 2100 Franklin Street and will house about 100 seats.
Comments? Tips? Get in touch at Jesse.Hirsch@EastBayExpress.com.