Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday Must Read: Occupy Oakland Protesters Return to City Hall Plaza Without Tents; Demonstrators Headed to Occupy Cal Today

by Robert Gammon
Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Stories you shouldn’t miss:

1. Between 600 and 1,000 Occupy Oakland demonstrators marched back to City Hall last night, but none pitched tents there after Mayor Jean Quan ordered a second raid on the encampment earlier in the day, the Trib and Chron report. There appeared to be no consensus among protesters as to whether they would attempt to reestablish the encampment this week. Some want to, but others are pushing for the occupation of abandoned buildings in the city. Quan said that police would remove tents if they were erected on the plaza. Occupy Oaklanders plan to return to the plaza for a General Assembly meeting on Wednesday night to map out their future.

2. Many Occupy Oakland demonstrators, meanwhile, are expected to join protests with Occupy Cal today, the Trib reports. A student strike and teach-in are scheduled for today at UC Berkeley. Protesters are demonstrating against massive fee hikes and police brutality when they attempted to establish an encampment at Cal last week.

3. UC Regents cancelled their meeting this week in San Francisco, saying they had evidence that some protesters were bent on causing vandalism and violence, the Chron reports. Demonstrators were planning a massive protest at the regents meeting scheduled for Wednesday.

4. The cost of the City of Oakland’s response to Occupy Oakland continues to soar, topping $2.4 million, much of it for police, the Chron reports. City Administrator Deanna Santana said the city would tap its $30 million reserve fund to pay the expenses.

5. One of Quan’s deputy mayors, Sharon Cornu, resigned yesterday, saying she felt she was no longer effective at City Hall, the Chron reports. However, unlike Quan’s unpaid legal adviser, Dan Siegel, who resigned earlier Monday because of the second police raid, Cornu did not criticize the mayor.

6. Iraq War veteran Scott Olsen, who suffered a fractured skull when police shot a less-than-lethal weapon at him on October 25 in Oakland, was released from the hospital yesterday, the Chron reports. Olsen also released a statement: "You'll be hearing more from me in the near future, and soon enough we'll see you in our streets!"

7. State lawmakers say they will hold hearings concerning the safety of the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge after a Sacramento Bee investigation found that a key inspector routinely falsified structural test results. Caltrans fired the inspector and his supervisor, and the agency maintains that the new eastern span will be safe when it opens in 2013.

8. And BART has transferred embattled spokesman Linton Johnson to a new job within the agency, the Chron reports. Johnson came under intense fire after he convinced BART to kill cellphone service in August to disrupt a planned protest.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Most Popular Stories

© 2014 East Bay Express    All Rights Reserved
Powered by Foundation