Download it here.
Tyson Vogel of San Francisco's Two Gallants has a new solo project, Devotionals, which will release its debut on July 13 through Alive Records. The music is based on Vogel's guitar compositions, with help from violinist Anton Patzner of Bright Eyes and string-metal band Judgement Day.
Here's a link to Devotionals' new song "Chest Like Expansive Wings."
The Express' annual, humongous Best of the East Bay party is coming up! Starting today, we'll be highlighting weekly the local bands that are scheduled to perform at the event, which happens Friday, August 6, in Jack London Square. Here's their band bio:
"Life Underwater" self release demo 2009
"We'll Be Okay" single 2010
Brendan Hoye- Vocals, Keys
Alex DiDonato- Guitar, Vocals
Chris Arellano- Guitar, Keys
Michael Hoye- Bass
Garren Orr- Drums
Finish Ticket was formed in early 2008. Their unique and fresh indie/pop blend has quickly earned them the respect and admiration of a loyal fan base. They released their debut EP, Life Underwater, in September of 2009. The band has been receiving radio play since December and was recently named one of the top 10 local bands to watch out for in 2010 by Aaron Axelson who hosts Live 105’s Radio Soundcheck. Finish Ticket was also showcased in late 2009 as one of the top five bands of the present San Francisco music scene. Finish Ticket is currently working on an album that will be released in early summer 2010 and a West Coast tour that will take place in July.
Led by Oaklander Jefferson Parker. Available on limited-edition 45 RPM and digital EP by HappyParts Recordings. Recorded by Charles Gonzales and mixed by Jason Quever of Papercuts. Released April 27.
Record Store Day is coming up on Saturday, and a bunch of labels are releasing limited-edition singles and downloads. Sub Pop has got a whole slew of releases for the annual day celebrating independent record shops. And they've made a free mix sampling one song per available for streaming. Check it out here.
The tracks are:
1. The Album Leaf - There Is A Wind (Acoustic)
2. Beach House - The Arrangement
3. CocoRosie - Lemonade
4. Comets on Fire - Dogwood Rust
5. Dum Dum Girls - Pay For Me
6. Happy Birthday - Shampoo
7. Male Bonding - Before It's Gone
8. Soundgarden - Hunted Down
Portland-based indie label Kill Rock Stars is kindly offering a free 21-song sampler for download, including tracks by local (or formerly local) artists Thao, Deerhoof, and Xiu Xiu. Get it here. Here's the tracklist:
1. ELLIOTT SMITH "Angeles" from Either/Or
2. THE THERMALS "Now We Can See" from Now We Can See
3. GOSSIP "Standing In the Way of Control" from Standing In The Way of Control
4. THAO "When We Swam" from Know Better Learn Faster
5. SLEATER KINNEY "Oh!" from One Beat
6. PANTHER "Love Is Sold" from Entropy
7. UNWOUND "Corpse Pose" from Repetition
8. THE PAPER CHASE "What Should We Do With Your Body? (The Lightning) from Someday This Could All Be Yours (Part 1)
9. XIU XIU "Dear God, I Hate Myself" from Dear God, I Hate Myself
10. DEERHOOF "Believe E.S.P." from Friend Opportunity
11. QUASI "Repulsion" from American Gong
12. MARNIE STERN "Transformer" from This Is It...
13. STEREO TOTAL "I Love You, Ono" from My Melody
14. LILIPUT "Ain't You" from Liliput
15. BIKINI KILL "New Radio " from New Radio
16. BRATMOBILE "Die" from The Real Janelle
17. COMET GAIN "Kids In The Club" from Realistes
18. THE SHAKY HANDS "Allison and the Ancient Eyes" from Let It Die
19. THE DECEMBERISTS "16 Military Wives" from Picaresque
20. HORSE FEATHERS "Curs In The Weeds" from House With No Home
21. JEFF HANSON "Hiding Behind the Moon" from Son
We heart Unwound.
One of the Bay Area’s better music outfits, Stripmall Architecture, will unveil some of its new material for the first time at the Retox Lounge (628 20th St., San Francisco) on Friday, Feb. 19. The band, featuring Ryan and Rebecca Coseboom of Halou, will not only play songs from its forthcoming album, Feathersongs for Factory Girls, but will also offer a limited number of promo copies of its new single “Radium Girls” with drink purchase; 100 numbered, limited-edition 11x17 posters to ticket holders; and display its album art for its remix project. Bella Lune and Razor Skyline will also perform. Don’t miss it. 9:30 p.m., $8
Bay Area alternative band Addison will celebrate the release of its Lay the Budda Down EP at Cafe du Nord (2170 Market St., SF) on Friday, Feb. 19. The band opens for the Junior Panthers with the Hi-Nobles. 9:30 p.m., $10.
Addison's "Lay the Buddha Down":
Addison's “Freeze Out” from last year's EP of the same name:
Beatbeat Whisper’s Davyd Nereo has put together a compilation CD of fifteen Oakland bands and solo artists called Our Last Bastion of Home. Featuring artists such Ash Reiter, The Blank Tapes, Belly of the Whale, Jen Weisberg, Mark Deutsch, Lavendirt, Pine, Quinn Deveaux, Roberto Miguel, Soft Shells, Ayla Nereo, Zach Houston, and more, the album was the second such compilation that Nereo has put out (the first was in 2008 and included Ash Reiter, Quinn Deveaux, Alana Paoli (Songs For Moms), Yes, Please (Lily of Grass Widow), All My Pretty Ones, and others). Other local comps have been organized by Matt Adams, Greg Ashley, and others, plus “there are more in the pipeline,” says Nereo. “There are also cool comps from Portland (TLE and others), Santa Cruz, Sonoma County. I think it’s a thing like mixtapes that’s been made easier through the Internet and other digital means.”